HOME > Consular Service > Visa Application
2018-08-23 22:31


Do I need a visa to visit China's mainland?

Foreign citizens generally need a visa to visit China's mainland with the exception of visa-free entry according to relevant agreements and regulations.

I have received my visa, but there will be a change in my trip plan. Do I need to apply for a change of the visa type or validity?

Once your visa application is processed and approved, you will not be able to change the visa type or validity unless you request the visa be voided by the Visa Office and apply and pay for a new one. If you have entered China, you should apply to the local Public Security authority for a change in visa type or an extension of stay or validity. Your application will be considered by the Public Security authority in accordance with relevant Chinese Laws and Regulations.

I get a new passport, but I have a valid Chinese visa in my old passport. Can I travel with both passports to China without applying for a new visa?

Yes, you may travel with both passports provided that your visa is still valid and the personal details including your name, sex, date of birth and nationality on both passports are exactly the same.

I have received my visa. Is there a guarantee that I will be allowed to enter China?

A visa is not a guarantee to enter China. The decision on whether or not you will be allowed to enter China is made at a port of entry by Chinese Border Control authority in accordance with Chinese Laws and Regulations.

Why I was granted a different type of visa with what I applied for?

The consular officers will determine whether or not to grant a visa and its category, validity and permitted duration of stay. The decision is final unless there is an technical error on the visa.


Submission and Collection

Where should I apply for a visa? Must I appear in person to submit my application? May I use a visa service?

You may apply for a visa at a Chinese Embassy or Consulate General based on your State of residence. You need to complete the visa form and prepare necessary supporting documents  and submit your application in person.

Do I need to schedule an appointment for visa application?

Yes. You should complete and submit China Online Visa Application form through https://cova.cs.mfa.gov.cn, and schedule appointment online for 

visa application through https://avas.cs.mfa.gov.cn.

Can I apply for a visa by mail? Could you mail the passport with visa back to me?

No. We do NOT accept mail-in visa applications. We do NOT provide mail-back service either.

How long does it take to process my application? What is the right time to submit my visa application?

Normally it takes 4 work days to process a visa application although some applications require longer processing time.You will be notified of the estimated collection date either on your pick-up slip or by phone later. You are advised to submit your visa application about one month before your planned travel date in China.

Do you provide express visa service?

Yes. Express service is available with an additional fee. You need to make such request to our staff while submitting your application. Please note that not all applications can be expedited as some requires longer processing time.

How can I collect my passport and visa if I lost the pick-up form?

Please come collect your passport and visa in person with a police loss report. 

Application Documents

I need to apply for a Chinese visa, what documents should I submit with my application?

You need to prepare your valid passport, duly completed and signed COVA application form, a passport copy, confirmation page, AVAS confirmation, 2 passport photos and supporting documents based on the purpose of your trip.

What are the requirements for passport, visa application form and photo?

Your passport must be valid at least for one year, and not altered/damaged/smudged in any way.

Make sure your TYPE to complete and sign an up-to-date version of visa application form (V2013). You must provide true, complete and accurate answers to each question on the form. The form needs to be signed by the applicant (or a parent /guardian in case of a minor). Only original signature is accepted.

Please glue a photo that is printed on glossy photo paper onto the form. Your photo must meet the requirements.

What are the requirements for an invitation letter?

The invitation letter may be in the form of fax, photocopy or computer printout, and must be signed by the inviter and/or company seal in case of a business invite. An applicant may be required to provide the original invitation letter as deemed necessary by a consular officer.


Can I check other applicants' visa application information at the Chinese Embassy or Consulate General?


What should I do if I lose my passport during my stay in China?

You should report the loss to local public security authorities as soon as possible and go to your country's Embassy or Consulate in China to apply for a replacement passport or travel document. After that, you must go to the local public security authorities to apply for a new entry and exit visa.

I am currently in China on a visa and the permitted time of stay is almost up, but I need to stay longer. May I send my passport back to a friend in Tanzania in order to get a new valid visa?

No. You must leave mainland China if you need to apply for a new visa. Or you may apply for an extension of visa from the local public security authorities in China.

I am planning to travel as a tourist to Hong Kong, Macao and other cities in China. Do I need different visas?

If you are not eligible for a short-term visa-free visit to HK SAR/Macao SAR, you will need to apply both mainland China visa AND HK SAR/Macao SAR visa.

I am now in China on a Z visa and have received my residence permit. Can I leave China and come back as often as I wish?

You may use your residence permit (placed on your passport and similar to a visa) issued by the local public security authority to enter and exit China during the validity of the residence permit. No other visa is needed.

If you are a Chinese Permanent Resident Card holder, you don't need a visa to enter China during the validity of your Permanent Resident Card.

Suggset To Friend: